Light of the world illumineKuriakose Elias Schools consists of two different schools with two different streams of curricula and syllabi and with different sections for each stream. The schools are situated at the eastern side of the hillock of Mannanam, Kottayam, where Blessed Kuriakose Elias started the CMI Congregation and his first Sanskrit school. The schools are named after Bl. Kuriakose Elias Chavara, the founder of the CMI Congregation and the great luminary of the 19th century Kerala.
The schools come under the purview of the ‘CMI Educational Agency’ that coordinates all the educational activities of the CMI congregation, which runs a deemed University, a Medical College, Engineering Colleges, many affiliated colleges, technical schools and numerous reputed schools in different parts of India.
Here is a brief survey of the history of the school in the making: 1. The first school of the group, Kuriakose Elias English Medium School, was started on July 16, 1991 as an unaided English Medium School, recognized by the Government of Kerala, with the U P and High School sections.
2. In June 1995, Kindergarten section was added to the School. A new Kindergarten building is being constructed in another location with better facilities
3. A separate school attached to the first school was started with ICSE syllabus in 2000. The ICSE Board approved the new school and so it got affiliated to the ICSE in February 2002. The ICSE school eventually became permanently affiliated to the ICSE Board, Delhi, with the Higher Secondary Section.
4. July 2002, the recognized State School was upgraded to a Higher Secondary School with courses in Science, Commerce and Computer.
5. The school started a Boys’ Boarding House, K.E. Boarding house, in August 2001, under the supervision of the CMI fathers
6. Boarding House for girls, Suvidhya Bhavan, was started in June 2002 in a building near the school by the Salvatorian Sisters.
7. K.E. Day Care Centre and Play School started in June 2003 made the school complete from Play School to Higher Secondary Schools.
8. The schools obtained ISO 9000:2000 Certification in March 2008 by DAS Certification Ltd. UK. The scope of operation under this certification is provision of Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary education.